 Robotics / 13528
Re: Tilt Sensors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 19 Dec 2000 15:38:14 GMT

I had a couple of thoughts while reading the posting on the bicycle.

I am currently working on an adjustable mercury tilt sensor. The size is 2x4,
with a height of 1 brick and 2 plates. While it doesn't give the degree of
tilt, it will give a closed circuit once reaching a certain point. There's not
a lot of adjustment, but hopefully it will be enough to tune it per
application. I plan on having it completed this weekend, and  the build
instructions should be up on the web shortly after that.

The bicycle idea sounds very interesting. Have you looked into the use of a
strain gauge to give resistance values? So instead of a stiff pendulum, it's a
bit more flexible. It's been a while, but I may have seen something on the
homebrew sensors page involving parts from a Nintendo PowerGlove.

Without knowing the size of the bicycle, what's the possibility of having an
internal flywheel to stabilize it? Of course, it would add a lot of weight to
the design, which you had problems with before.

-Troy