 Robotics / 13051
Re: MOC: Radio Controlled Tank.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 4 Nov 2000 21:32:47 GMT

Tobbe,

This is a nice looking model, especially with all the functions.

As to more traction, you could use alternating regular chain links and tread links and
mount a 1x4 plate on each tread link, studs out.  I'm not sure how realistic this would
look for the scale of your model.  I built a "tank like" model using three rows of links
and 1x10 plates for the shoes and I think the resulting tracks were fairly realistic
looking and had very good traction.  The model may be seen here:

http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/runway/1604/bigtread.html

The construction of the tracks is described in detail on the above page.  I also used the
same treads in my working model of the Kennedy Space Center's Crawler/Transporter:

http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/runway/1604/ksc_ct.html

--
Mark Haye, mark_haye(@)tivoli(.)com
IBM TSM Server Development, Tucson, AZ

"Fredrik Glöckner" <fredrik.glockner@bio.uio.no> wrote in message news:qrdofzx3z35.fsf@masterblaster.uio.no...
tnt@arnesson.nu (Tobbe Arnesson) writes:

They usually look better then they work since they tend to slip a
lot

Here's an idea you can try to have them slip a bit less.  Do you have
the ordinary chain links too?  Then ones without the wide tread?  If
so use an ordinary chain link for every third link, say.  Like this:

Perhaps this will give better traction?

Fredrik