 Robotics / 12978
Re: RCX2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 19:29:07 GMT

Bill,

If you go to http://mindstorms.lego.com/ then follow the 'Tips and Tricks'
link, the RCX2 beta SDK is under the 'Master Coders' section.

A quick quote from the site:

<quote>
RCX 2.0 BETA SDK

Since we made a few small changes and additions to the firmware after we
published the last pre-alpha patch (#4), we thought you should have the
opportunity to work with the next official RCX firmware now. In addition we
would like to direct your attention to our high-level programming language
called MindScript™ (called LEGO Script in the earlier releases).

New powerful features in the RCX 2.0 Beta SDK:

1) The main item is a new and much enhanced firmware for the RCX. You can
look at the technical details in the "LASM Byte codes" document. We have
tried very hard to ensure backwards compatibility while still being able to
put in powerful new features, some of which will be recognisable from the
Scout brick from the LEGO MINDSTORMS Robotics Discovery Set™.

2) The MindScript programming language. MindScript is going to be the ASCII
text-based program format that the forthcoming LEGO MINDSTORMS Robotics
Invention System 2.0 uses for the graphical RCX Code programs. This means
that you can create RCX Code programs and then examine the resulting
MindScript programs and experiment with them.

3) Support for the Scout from LEGO MINDSTORMS Robotics Discovery Set -- both
in LASM and MindScript.

The most noticeable new features in the new RCX 2.0 firmware (version 03.28)
are:

1) Event monitoring on physical and a number of virtual sensors (timers, IR
message and counter variables).

2) Priority-based access control to shared resources.

3) Local variable tasking, for example, safe parameter passing to
subroutines that execute within the environment of the calling task.

4) Global motor and sound control.

5) Play tones with the frequency taken from a variable.

6) Display and track the value of internal RCX data with or without the
program running. (Great for demonstrating or debugging.)

7) The ability, under program control, to switch to another program slot and
start it running -- just as you can with the LEGO MINDSTORMS Remote Control
Unit.

8) Simple support for data arrays/variable pointers.

...and probably quite a few more that we forgot in all the excitement.

</quote>

HTH,

Ben Gracewood
IT Manager