 Robotics / 12890
Re: single motor pneumatic pump and switch
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 19:58:41 GMT

Does this mechanism actually need the differential? If you used a 24 tooth
crown (the horrible bendy one) on the motor and this turned the white slip
gear for the switch and also a standard 24 tooth for the pump, the diff isn't
needed, or is it just too late at night for me to think clearly? (The white
gear and the standard gear aren't connected with a central shaft as shown in
the pics. The rest of the layout is similar.) So when you run the motor in one
direction the white gear moves the switch until the end of travel then it
slips and the pump gear, well, pumps. Reverse the motor to move the switch
again.

Tis a good idea though and a neat design.

Mike

In lugnet.robotics, John Barnes writes:
A truely ingenious little mechanism. I wonder if mechanical engineers
in the real world ever get jealous of how easy it is for us Lego world
engineers to do such rapid prototyping.

... and in reply to Ralph's comment, who was the famous figure who
proposed closing the patent office a hundred or so years ago on the
grounds that everything had been invented?

JB

Ralph Hempel wrote:

This is a really interesting twist on pneumatic switching! And
we thought it was all done already!

Nice work.

Pneumatic pump and switch using a single motor:

Have a look at:
http://www.t-online.de/~sibylle.eddy/pneswit.html