 Robotics / 1282
Re: effect of motor speeds
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 13:06:57 GMT

I noticed that settting the motor speed does not seem to have much efect
on the speed the robot is moving:

0 = slow
1 = faster
2 = slighly faster than 1
3-7 = about equal to 2

Am I doing something wrong? Or is this standard behavior?

I think so, most problematical is the reduction in starting torque, free
running always seems to peak at the same RPM. With an Acrobot based robot I
have problems with wrinkles in the carpet stopping it when manoevering at
low speed, but it still gathers up enough in a straight line to smash the
bump detectors. I think application of full power to get started, then
reduction to 1 or 2 or freewheel periodically is necessary.

I am waiting for a rotation sensor, then I'll have traction control...
--
John Cooper, JPSC Ltd, UK