 Robotics / 1278
Re: Communicating with IR tower
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 10:52:35 GMT

Hi John,
I've been doing this for a while with the Cybermaster. You can simple use
the SetVar and Poll commands in immediate mode via the OCX to read and set
variables in the brick. Add a bit of handshaking and you have a
communications mechanism between the PC and the programs running on the
brick. I use this to issue new commands from a mapping app running on the PC
to a small explorer program which runs on the Cybermaster brick, I also use
it to read back status from the Cybermaster. With a few tweaks you can use
the mechanism to allow the brick to detect when it has gone out of range of
the tower (and try and take steps to get back in range!). Most of the above
I've been using with Cybermaster, but the basic mechanism also works fine on
my RCX as well.

Andy

PS I'm not sure if you can do this using the standard RIS/Mindstorms
software. I've not used this at all I talk direct to the OCX form C++.

John Fronckowiak wrote in message
<4.1.19981209164708.02fa7f10@buffnet.net>...
Has anyone developed any applications that allow the RCX to communicate
back to your PC via the IR tower, analogous to the way two RCXs can
communicate with each other. This would be useful to allow the robot to
return to the IR tower for "new instructions".