 Robotics / 12684
  RE: NQC versus Lego RCX Code Speed

Hmm. This question seems to have gone the way of my PC-->IR Tower cable question. Let me try to get at the point that most interests me--what is the difference, at the RCX level, between programs coded in NQC and programs coded in RCX Code. Is the (...) (24 years ago, 5-Oct-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: NQC versus Lego RCX Code Speed

(...) At the RCX level, there is no difference. Both use the standard Lego firmware to execute programs specified using a byte code. The byte code is something like an instruction set, except that it's interpreted and it has operations that are (...) (24 years ago, 6-Oct-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: NQC versus Lego RCX Code Speed

(...) As I understand it, the situation is this: * Using the Windoze graphical environment - your 'programs' are translated into a special 'byte-code' that's interpreted by the RCX's firmware. * Using NQC, your C programs are translated into the (...) (24 years ago, 6-Oct-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: NQC versus Lego RCX Code Speed

(...) This is correct. (...) Hehe :) Yes, this is correct. LegOS is also faster for some other reasons- it samples the sensors at a much faster rate than the standard firmware, so legOS programs can react much more quickly than standard bytecode (...) (24 years ago, 6-Oct-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  RE: NQC versus Lego RCX Code Speed

(...) (URL) Is a note I posted a while back on pbForth speed. It really is very fast - not as quick as legOS, but fast enough for what we're doing. In fact, NQC and native firmware is fast enough - we just don't have enough variables.... As a point (...) (24 years ago, 6-Oct-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: NQC versus Lego RCX Code Speed

In article (...) Sorry for the delay...I haven't been keeping up with lugnet.robotics as much as I should. NQC generates the same sort of bytecodes that RCX Code does, so they are both at the same "level" (specifically bytecodes executed by an (...) (24 years ago, 25-Oct-00, to lugnet.robotics)