 Robotics / 12654
  A neat idea for touch sensors

Hi everyone, I was trying to figure out a way to distinguish between two touch sensors on the same port. I have seen a lot of examples on the Web of sensor multiplexers using resistors. Being somewhat of a purist, I wanted to do the same thing with (...) (24 years ago, 4-Oct-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: A neat idea for touch sensors

Wow what a great idea! thank-you! Why didn't I think of that? I almost got my dad to bring me back a cybermaster from europe to get those resistor touch sensors. Now I'll have to try this first. Phil :-) (...) (24 years ago, 4-Oct-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: A neat idea for touch sensors

That is a neat idea! (...) (24 years ago, 4-Oct-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: A neat idea for touch sensors

(...) There are the Cybermaster touch sensors with resistors, but that's a rather expensive solution. (...) Your idea is both simple and great and I just wonder why nobody thought of it before. So how to get more lights? I just have one from the (...) (24 years ago, 4-Oct-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: A neat idea for touch sensors

Hi Juergen, (...) I realize that I am using two lights where I only need one. Its just simplest to connect both lights to one sensor. I think I came up with a scheme to use only one light, but the wiring was somewhat convaluted. (You want the light (...) (24 years ago, 4-Oct-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: A neat idea for touch sensors

(...) Those resistors in the Cybermaster touch sensors are in parallel to the sensor. You can read its value when the sensor is not pressed. Cybermaster uses it to figure out which sensor is connected to what port before starting the actual program. (...) (24 years ago, 4-Oct-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: A neat idea for touch sensors

Hi Rob, (...) Yes. But by looking carefully at the connectors it's not too hard to figure out how to do it. (...) I think it is just that in most cases parallel connections are needed, and you got to decide between the two possibilities if you want (...) (24 years ago, 5-Oct-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: A neat idea for touch sensors

(...) That probably was me ((URL) That required a lot of Lego wires, put together in funny (...) I used five wires for convenience, since I have enough of them. But you can get by with just three wires if you connect them directly to the sensors and (...) (24 years ago, 5-Oct-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: A neat idea for touch sensors

(...) make that four, one more than the number of sensors (...) It's on Michael Gasperi's site ((URL) Schumm has figured out how to orient the wires to allow two or more Touch sensors to be hooked in series to create the AND function. Here is his (...) (24 years ago, 6-Oct-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: A neat idea for touch sensors

Just in case anybody needs a "how-to" photo of Rob's idea: (URL) G. (24 years ago, 10-Oct-00, to lugnet.robotics)