 Robotics / 12677
Re: A neat idea for touch sensors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 2000 22:16:00 GMT

"Rob Stehlik" <Robbby31@Hotmail.com> writes:

I was trying to figure out a way to distinguish between
two touch sensors on the same port. I have seen a lot of
examples on the Web of sensor multiplexers using
resistors.
Being somewhat of a purist, I wanted to do the same thing
with just Lego. Hmmm, as far as I know, lego doesn't make resistors.

There are the Cybermaster touch sensors with resistors,
but that's a rather expensive solution.

Those resistors in the Cybermaster touch sensors are in parallel to the
sensor. You can read its value when the sensor is not pressed. Cybermaster
uses it to figure out which sensor is connected to what port before starting
the actual program. Each touch sensor has a different color. As long as you
use the right colored sensor, it doesn't matter to which port you connect it
to. If you connect these sensors to the same port, you will not be able to
tell very well which one is pressed. Some time ago somebody came up with a
complicated wiring scheme to connect multiple Cybermaster touch sensors in
series to a single input port. That required a lot of Lego wires, put
together in funny ways (only partially overlapping etc.)

Using the lamps adds a resistor in series. That means you can read the
resistor value when the sensor is pressed, and you can hook up two sensors
to a single input and still read which one is pressed.

Your idea is both simple and great and I just wonder why
nobody thought of it before.  So how to get more lights?
I just have one from the Ultimate Accessory Set.

There's a service pack at S@H that contains one, I believe. Some train sets
contain one, too. And then there's a dacta service pack
(http://www.pldstore.com) that contains 2 lights for $10.

Tilman