 Robotics / 12633
Re: IR tower problem -working but still not
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 1 Oct 2000 17:21:08 GMT

Tobias,
The tower light will light even if the battery is dead or improperly connected.
The battery compartment is not very well designed, and it can sometimes cause
problems. Check the battery again. First, make sure it is fresh. I use the
tongue test. Next, make sure the polarity is right. The battery will fit in
the compartment in several wrong ways. Next, make sure it is solidly inserted.
It can get hung up on the edge of the plastic, and it can jiggle loose when
you close the door. Make sure it is in its slots. Then, unplug both ends of
the serial cable and check the ends for bent pins. Plug them back in again,
and make sure they are firmly connected. Check the port you plugged it into,
and make sure the software agrees with the port. If that doesn't work, try the
other port. Check to make sure nothing else could be interfering with the
port. I hope this helps.
-Amnon

In lugnet.robotics, Tobias Möller writes:
I've seen this  subject here two years ago, and since I had the exact
same problem, I'll ask it here again (I got no solution by reading the
older posts.)

I've had th IR tower up and running for about six months, but now it
won't workk! Every time I try to download something, it says "The IR
tower may be recieving too much light or needs a fresh battery". So I've
changed battery, turned off all the lights, but it still won't work!

The green LED is on, as if the IR tower had contact with an RCX, but I
keep getting the same message over and over.

I can't download new microcode, if that's the problem, since the IR
tower doesn't work at all. I've even tried to use another IR tower and
cable, but still, no results.

What could be causing this?

Any help appreciated!
--Tobias