 Robotics / 12580
Re: Advanced programming with Vision Command
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 11:09:13 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Jan Nouza writes:

Of course, I am not much interested in playing music by waving hands in front
of the cam.

Is there anyone in the world ? ;-)

What is the best way to control the RCX and the cam simultaneously?

I managed to use the cam as a sensor (but its still limitated).
I did it this way :
I wrote a program with the VC - Software with a function for every field.
(don't care wich function but it should be short in time)
I switched the task to windows desktop to edit the file
"???\vision_command\script\myprog.txt".
I modified this file so that only < slot 1 > is done by main.
This switches from the default slot 5 that the VC - Software is using to slot 1
where i saved my NQC program before.
Now i writeprotect this file, switch back to VC, start the VC-program.
Now the VC - Software downloads myprog.txt to slot 5 and executes it ( witch
switches to slot 1 actually).
Now my NQC program is running and i receive a message everytime a field in the
camera view is touched. (Message() returns 1 for field 1 -> 8 for field 8)
Here you have to know, that the RCX usually sends an alive message to the IR
tower at least every 5 seconds. You have to create this alive message on
your own !!!! If not the VC - Software stops executing.

What is the compatibility between the new firmware and the programs written
with the previous versions of RIS, NQC or the Spirit.ocx?

As shown above there should be no problem with new firmware and NQC.
I don't know anythig about RIS and spirit.ocx.

Right on time i try to get this running with legos.
But there are some problems i hope someone can help me with.
I've got problems to create an alive message.
(i posted a question to the RCX group already ; thank you so far dave baum !
I received your book today, hope this will help me.)

Then i thougt about a fake-firmware so that the VC - Software thinks there is a
RCX with firmware on it not legos. But to do this i have to understand the
DIFFERENCES between NQC and legos. So at first i try to get the alive message
running. (I hope so !!)