 Robotics / 12557
12556  |  12558
Subject:
Advanced programming with Vision Command
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 23 Sep 2000 15:25:24 GMT

Dear robotics friends,

Oh god, it was a hard job to get the Vision Command from USA to Czechia but
eventually I have got it. Now I try to explore its real capabilities.
Of course, I am not much interested in playing music by waving hands in front
of the cam. Instead I would like to use the cam as an additional (higly
sophisticated) sensor with moving/standing RCX/PC controlled models.

After browsing through the VC software it seems to me that the task will be
more complicated than I expected. The VC Command Center misses many commands
- namely the sensor related ones - that were available in the RIS. The RIS, on
the other side, knows nothing about the cam. The Help text in the VC software
states minimum about the connection with the RIS. I have browsed the official
LEGO pages, but there is no information for developers there.

So, I would like to ask the LUGNET community, particularly the true Mindstorms
experts:
Has anybody already made VC related Web pages containing some details about VC
programming?
What is the best way to control the RCX and the cam simultaneously?
What about to establish a new Vission Command subgroup on the LUGNET?

And here are other two relevant questions addressed to the advanced VC users:
What is the compatibility between the new firmware and the programs written
with the previous versions of RIS, NQC or the Spirit.ocx?
Is the new SDK recently prepared by the LEGO company compatible with the
previous one (Spirit.ocx)? Will it allow (easier) programming from Visual
Basic?

I ask the questions because I plan to launch a new project-oriented
Mindstorms-based course for my students.

Thanks for any replies and comments.

Jan Nouza

Dept. of Electronics
Technical University of Liberec