 Robotics / 12520
Re: Strong gear assemble?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 2000 22:33:01 GMT

I second the turntable suggestion. Triple black pin two beams to the molded-in
mounting lugs and you can make a perfect space to worm-gear the outer ring. As
an added bonus you get tons of mounting surface to put the rest of your big-
rig construction. You can even use a pair of turntables to make a joint that
can handle real stump-pulling torque. These are some of my favorite parts, and
almost a must for large projects. You can buy them at Pitsco, but they are not
cheap ($10 I think). Buy a few extra parts when you order, because it is easy
to start snapping things when you go big with strong cross-pin construction.

In lugnet.robotics, "Tilman Sporkert" <tilman@webmethods.com> writes:
A worm gear mounted against a 40t gear is, I believe, the 2-gear • combination
that provides the most torque. You may want to gear down the worm gear
first, providing even more torque. In general, as speed decreases • (assuming
the decrease is caused by "gearing down," not slowing the motor), torque
increases.

If you have a turntable around, you can do even better than that. I never
counted how many teeth it has on the outside, but it's a lot more than the
40t gear. And even better, it has molded on "mini-beams" to attach other
beams to it.

The RCX set doesn't include a turntable, so this won't help the original
poster of the question.

Tilman