 Robotics / 12483
RE: How 2 Augment RIS 1.5?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 19:50:25 GMT

Speaking from personal experience, I recognize the first step on the
slippery path to rationalized excessive Lego purchases.  I'd say run, but
it's too late to turn back now....;>)

Still, it's fun and doesn't have to be painful.  The buckets are ok, but
don't have the technic parts you'll be looking for.  Try to find deals on
other big Technic sets.  The LUGNET homepage has a link to the weekly S@H
specials, generally the Technic ones are discounted 50%.  I tend to cruise
TRU isles every couple of weeks for specials.  TRU currently has the Droid
Developer Kit 50% off (that's a lot of parts, and a micro scout to go with
your RCX, for only $49.00), and some Znap kits for almost no money at all
that contain a motor and battery box.  (My local TRU also has some original
1.0 RIS boxes, but my disease hasn't progressed that far, yet).

Dacta is a good source when, say, you just really, really need to have 4
big turntables.  And they have some interesting parts you can't get
elsewhere, like the solar panels.

Check out yard sales, Ebay, etc.  Watch out on Ebay, however.   Last fall,
S@H was selling the # 8250 Rescue Sub for $25.00, and there were several
"Mint, In Box" 8250's for sale at $50.00 or more....

Jeff

Jeffrey Hazen
North Mill Technology
jeffrey.hazen@northmill.net