 Robotics / 1247
Re: Delphi developers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 9 Dec 1998 15:52:35 GMT

John,

I'm not sure whether you are aware but there are a number of solutions to
the problem of improving the programming capability of MindStorms. I don't
think anyone has a Delphi interface yet but I have developed a connection
between Smalltalk and the RCX. I've called this thing Bot-Kit. You can find
out more about it by visiting http://www.object-arts.com/Bower/Bot-Kit.

The actual kit is free but you do need to purchase a copy of the Dolphin
Smalltalk environment in order to run it. At $29.95 it's not expensive. I've
tried to write the documentation so it should be useable by people without
Smalltalk experience and even older children (although 9 maybe slightly too
young). I have heard of someone teaching his 8 year old son though.

The site currently contains a beta of the product with only a couple of
chapters of documentation. This is set to be updated to the full product
this evening. Let me know if you want further information.

BTW, I mentioned that there were other solutions. I think the best
alternative to Bot-Kit would be Dave Baum's NQC (Not Quite C) which is a
pseudo C compiler for the RCX. It's pretty straightforward to use but
unfortunately it's not Object-Oriented programming like Smalltalk (and
Delphi). NQC can be found at:
http://www.enteract.com/~dbaum/lego/nqc/index.html.

Best regards,

Andy Bower