 Robotics / 12388
Re: Vision Command [cables]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 11 Sep 2000 19:13:24 GMT

For some time I have used a Logitec Quick Cam Pro with the Mars set and
other applications for a Lego camera, Pre-Vision Command.  It has about
a five foot cable.  I got a 10 foot extension.  It was balky about installing
but did eventually install and work fine with the extension.  I tried
the extension on the Lego Vision Command camera and it would not install.
The extension is more flexible and smaller diameter than the Lego semi-
flexible metal rod cable.  It may be missing a wire.  I am going to try
the two cameras at once now that I have replaced all the Quick Cam software
that Vision Quest announced it was erasing, 14 megs of it, because it was
allegedly obsolete.  I have a powered hub with about a five foot cable.
It is possible that using a powered USB hub as a "repeater" might allow a
bit longer cable, I will see.  The cameras are power hogs and really strain
a USB port, sucking up most of the 500 ma such a port is rated to provide.
Thus an external powered port expander is needed if you want to use more than
one such power hog. BTW, the Quick Cam Pro makes a much better picture than
the Lego camera, but it is a higher quality camera. I hope I can get both
cameras online at once so I can switch between them for different
applications. Mars Expansion set was able to use both my QuickCam Pro and
my DC10 video capture card with my little B&W camera.  The video capture
card is MUCH faster than the USB cameras, much more like full motion
video instead of assorted async stills. I have not seen any evidence that
vision command uses anything but the Lego camera.

In lugnet.robotics, Ahui Herrera writes:

The camera in the Vision Command set is pretty much just a Logitech QuickCam
USB camera in Lego packaging. The USB cable is longer than usual, about
15ft, but very stiff.