 Robotics / 12366
Re: I am an Idiot (was Pneumatics Are Back!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 2000 18:16:55 GMT

"Wilcox, Doug" wrote:

I agree on both points--the bulk and the pneumatics set availability--but
this is still progress over a year ago. There were frantic messages posted
not long ago that pneumatics might be going away for good ... so it's nice
to see them making a comeback, and the parts set is a good starting point.

For the record, I have yet to build a 'bot that makes use of pneumatics--the
overhead is an issue for me, as well as a very small collection of pneumatic
parts. (What we all need, as has been said, is an RCX-controlled pneumatic
valve servo that takes only one output port.)

Actually, I'm tackling that particular problem right now.  I don't claim
it's elegant, but I'm using the pneumatic valves interconnected with a
robot arm in such a way that each time the arm goes up, valve A changes
position.  Then when it goes back down, this changes how valve B (which
is connected directly to the arm) acts.  The result is basically the arm
goes down, it opens.  Goes up, then goes down and closes.  Goes up, and
down, and opens.  It's a basic state machine for any other compsci
types, but it is done mechanically using the valves and pistons.  I've
got one more linkage to fix up to make it reliable.  I'll then look at
posting it on the web, and having a number of you berate me on how to
make it more elegant and use less pieces... :-)

The system only uses the one output port to raise and lower the arm.
All actions and states of the grabber are controlled pneumatically.

If anyone is wondering why the heck I'm doing this, I've found the
pneumatics have a lot stronger grip on a claw, allowing larger objects
to be picked up.

Dallas

Dallas Hockley
hockleyd@cybersurf.net