 Robotics / 12154
Re: Lego Breaks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 23:24:12 GMT

"Wilcox, Doug" wrote:

In an online article or perhaps in this mailing list, I remember reading or
hearing about silicon valley or other engineering/high-tech firms where the
engineers get to take "Lego Breaks." I work for a fairly Geek-centric
company, and recently moved my MindStorms into my cubicle to play with
during lunch, I need some ammunition to counter the nonGeeks and prove that
I'm not _that_ weird. ;)

Have you passed "The Hacker FAQ" on to your management?

  http://www.plethora.net/~seebs/faqs/hacker.html

It reads like a joke - but actually, it's a serious document that's spot
on what managers need to know.  I showed it to my boss a few years ago - he
laughed.  When he was moved into a different job about a year later, he passed
it on to his successor - telling him it wasn't a joke and he'd better read it!

The stuff in section 2 explains *precisely* why Lego in work time is
"A Good Thing"...although it doesn't mention Lego specifically.

Can anyone point me to a thread or Web article about this?

I don't know *specifically* about Lego breaks.

Wandering around the corridors at Silicon Graphics Inc, you see an inordinate
number of Technics boxes in peoples 'cubes - this may just be a natural
geek-affinity to the stuff though.  They also have pool tables, old arcade
games, etc.

--
Steve Baker   HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>
              WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>