 Robotics / 12109
Re: Linux & RCX mini-HOWTO- comments/thoughts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 13 Aug 2000 02:34:02 GMT

On Sat, 12 Aug 2000, Steve Baker wrote:
Luis Villa wrote:

Because I'm sick of Linux people telling me "I thought you couldn't use the
RCX with Linux"...

Those must be especially stupid people!

When was the last time you read /.? For better or for worse, there are
many new Linux users who are not particularly clueful.

Plus I'd already noticed that SuSE Linux has a handful of Lego tools on the
release CD's and NQC was *already* installed on my machine.

Really? That's a shame- I'd hoped to make Debian the first "Lego ready"
Linux release. Oh well... I'll survive with second :)

Are there options here that I'm missing? These don't need to be full-blown,
legOS-type OSs- clearly, RCX.pm doesn't fall into that category. I'm just
looking for any systems (of any type) that allow Linux users to use an RCX.

I havn't seen any others - although it might be nice to explain about the
various Lego-specific CAD programs (like LeoCAD) that work under Linux.

Good idea!

The two 'gotchas' that caught me out were:

  1) Finding a suitable serial port for the tower.
     This isn't always easy because there are only two free
     interrupts on the PC and Linux doesn't like driving two ports
     from one interrupt.  Hence, your mouse and your modem (which are
     both serial devices in all probability) may prevent you from using
     the serial port connector on the back of the PC directly.  For me,
     the answer was to connect the tower to my son's PC and write a
     shell script to redirect NQC commands to his PC for execution and
     download.  There may be a better way - but some discussion of this
     somewhere would be useful.

OK.

  2) Since I wasn't using Windoze (I don't even own a copy), I didn't
     even *look* at the instructions and came close to throwing away
     the CD-ROM.  Hence, I didn't realise that I needed the Lego
     firmware from the CD - and it was mostly a matter of guesswork
     to figure out what Windoze file I needed off the CD and how to
     download it using NQC.

Good point.

Those were not *big* problems for me - but less experienced Linux newbies
might have a REALLY hard time of this.  So a paragraph or two might help.

I'l try to figure out a way to incorporate these. I'm sure there are
others.

You can read what I've done so far here:
http://www.duke.edu/~liv/Linux/index.html

Nice!  It's always good to have everything together in one place.

That's why I wanted to do this. As you mentioned, searching on Google
returns a /lot/ of stuff- I hope that with a little luck this might
someday turn up first on a Google search and save people the trouble that
you went to.

So, how to we pursuade Lego Inc to put a copy of this into every
Mindstorms set - and a copy of all the software packages onto the
CD-ROM?

Dunno. TLG? Anybody listening? ;)
Luis

    "Summertime... and the living is easy...
    fish are jumping and the cotton is high...
    So hush, little baby, baby don't you cry."
-Ella