 Robotics / 12110
Re: Linux & RCX mini-HOWTO- comments/thoughts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 13 Aug 2000 03:51:01 GMT

I just read these better, so I'm replying in more detail... hope this
doesn't bother anyone :)

On Sat, 12 Aug 2000, Steve Baker wrote:
The two 'gotchas' that caught me out were:

  1) Finding a suitable serial port for the tower.
     This isn't always easy because there are only two free
     interrupts on the PC and Linux doesn't like driving two ports
     from one interrupt.  Hence, your mouse and your modem (which are
     both serial devices in all probability) may prevent you from using
     the serial port connector on the back of the PC directly.  For me,
     the answer was to connect the tower to my son's PC and write a
     shell script to redirect NQC commands to his PC for execution and
     download.  There may be a better way - but some discussion of this
     somewhere would be useful.

Any suggestions as to what exactly I should add? I've never had problems
of the type you describe, either with IRQ shortages or with serial port
conflicts, nor am I aware of any legOS users who have. So, I'm not sure
exactly what kinds of warnings or suggestions I should add. Let me know,
and I'll be glad to :)

  2) Since I wasn't using Windoze (I don't even own a copy), I didn't
     even *look* at the instructions and came close to throwing away
     the CD-ROM.  Hence, I didn't realise that I needed the Lego
     firmware from the CD - and it was mostly a matter of guesswork
     to figure out what Windoze file I needed off the CD and how to
     download it using NQC.

What is the name of this file? Honestly, my Lego CD-ROM has never seen the
light of day, so while I'm aware of the need for the firmware, I'm only
very peripherally aware :) Is there any other need for the CD under any of
the other softwares or is that one file the only thing?

Thanks- version 0.2 should be up shortly :)

Luis

    "Summertime... and the living is easy...
    fish are jumping and the cotton is high...
    So hush, little baby, baby don't you cry."
-Ella