 Robotics / 11910
11909  |  11911
Subject:
Care and feeding of technic gear motors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 2000 17:39:14 GMT

I have read a number of reports of people having problems
with the technic gear motor. In particular, with them jamming.

I have an embarrassingly large number of these motors and I
had never observed a problem. However,

I have noted that some of the motors coming from the heavily
discounted Znap sets and 3038 sets will not turn when they are
first unpacked. I think that there is a problem with the motors
sitting in the same position for a long period on warehouse shelves.

I have not broken a motor yet, but any that appear in this state can
be freed by running from the battery pack for a few minutes.

I can imagine the delicate gears being very easily damaged if the
output shaft is forced, since there is a considerable gear up to
the actually motor inside.

So, care and feeding out of the box may be important.

that's my 2c worth.

And I'm still ready to supply Znap sets to anyone interested. My local
TRU (Utica, NY) seems to have an abundance. I have not noted any
flex axles missing in the 20 or so sets I've opened so far, to comment
on John VanZweiten's post. And I think he's correct about no flex
axles in one of the sets (3591?), but both the $10 ones have them.

JB