 Robotics / 11858
Re: Collision Avoidance of Train using RCX and Light Sensor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 17:28:26 GMT

Ahui,
  you should be able to get this to work. I have done this for a distance of 10
dots. Look at
   http://www.activesw.com/people/tilman/lego.htm
then follow the link to "Ferris Wheel" at the bottom, and go to the 5th picture
"Bar Closed". Look at the double chair seat with the white and red minifigs
sitting in it.The seat breaks a light beam. The white light brick is on the
left, at about butt level of the minifigs. The blue light sensor is on the
right. You will see two 1x2 technic beams in front of the light sensor. That
prevents most room light from reaching the sensor. That is the key - you want
maximum contrast between "light" and "dark". You can't make the light brick
shine any brighter, so you have to focus on blocking out all other light
sources. This setup works very reliably.
  I also put a 1x2 technic beam in front of the light brick. That's cosmetic
only, and makes the light invisible unless you look straight into the hole.

  Tilman