 Robotics / 11857
Re: Scout & Messages.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 16:20:57 GMT

Hi Steve

You can either get the official Scout SDK from www.legomindstorms.com or start
using the Scout option from NQC.

Why it dies when receiving the IR messages is beyond me. Mine doesn't - in any
mode.

Play well!

In lugnet.robotics, sjbaker1@airmail.net writes:
Hi!

This is my second day as owner of a Mindstorms set - and my first
post to this list - so forgive me if this is a FAQ...I've read Lego
web pages until my eyes gave out at about 3am last night!

I've played a bit with NQC (great fun!) under Linux - and was
looking for more Lego parts in my son's Lego bin when I found his
Scout module *and* the documentation that comes with it.

It says:

"Coming in 2000:
    * Program the scout using your PC
    * Control the scout via a wireless infrared link
    * Unlock new functions and sensor capabilities"

OK - so this implies that the Scout is in fact programmable.

Cool!  So now I have TWO computers to play with. (I didn't
even realise it had an IR detector!)

Somewhere else in the Scout manuals, it says it responds to
RCX messages 1..12 - but it doesn't say what those messages
do - or what mode the Scout has to be in to listen to them.

I tried sending each of these in turn from the IR tower
using NQC and the scout does indeed respond to them all...
...by turning itself off!
                          :-)

Well, yes, technically, that *is* a response isn't it!

Does anyone know what's going on here?   Has this new 'booster
pack' for the scout appeared?   Is the Scout "really" an RCX
controller inside (it's hard to believe they'd really make two
totally different boxes).

Why does it turn off when it gets an IR command?

I wondered if I could try downloading the RCX firmware into
it - but it turns itself off for that too.