 Robotics / 11800
Re: Robot kits for ages 11-16?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 2000 23:22:40 GMT

in article Fwvns4.AEy@lugnet.com, Richard Hamilton at rhamilton@wis.twc.com
wrote on 6/28/00 11:38 AM:

I am looking for good robot kits for kids 11-16 to construct a programmable
robot. The best is probably Mindstorms or Lego Dacta kits, but these are a
little expensive. The robot does not need to be autonomous, but must be
program driven, and the construction skills need to be what an 11 year old can
handle with little help. The ideal kit for my audience would be under $120 and
would be a simple demonstration of robotics and programming.

Take a look at the Robotics Discovery Set, which includes the Scout
programmable brick.  You can use NQC to program the Scout, if you purchase a
separate infrared transmitter tower from Pitsco.  Also pick up a remote
control - they're great for troubleshooting and testing.  This should come
in at about $120 or so, especially if you have the kids share a couple of
transmitter towers instead of getting one per kit.

Look out for battery costs - think about rechargeables, although this adds
to your initial cost.

What about the
Basic Stamp kits like Boe Bot? Are the Stiquito kits worth looking at? Is a
Handy board out of the question? Any experience or ideas you have would be
greatly appreciated.

No experience with these, but my reading indicates that these would be
rather more complicated than the Scout plus NQC.

--
Doug Weathers, http://www.rdrop.com/~dougw
Portland, Oregon, USA