 Robotics / 11798
Re: Robot kits for ages 11-16?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 2000 19:45:53 GMT

Richard Hamilton schreef:

I am looking for good robot kits for kids 11-16 to construct a programmable
robot. The best is probably Mindstorms or Lego Dacta kits, but these are a
little expensive. The robot does not need to be autonomous, but must be
program driven, and the construction skills need to be what an 11 year old can
handle with little help. The ideal kit for my audience would be under $120 and
would be a simple demonstration of robotics and programming. What about the
Basic Stamp kits like Boe Bot? Are the Stiquito kits worth looking at? Is a
Handy board out of the question? Any experience or ideas you have would be
greatly appreciated.

You could try some RDS kits (9735) and get a separate IR tower. Those
robots can be programmed using a PC and the IR tower, check out
http://www.legomindstorms.com/

Go to the RDS section, and select the "Secrets" page. It points to the
special (windows95) software to program the Scout. Or you can use NQC,
which is available for Win95/NT/Mac/Linux. But it's a bit harder to learn.
--
Jan-Albert "Anvil" van Ree   | http://www.nl.3dgamers.com
3D Sims Archive maintainer   | http://www.3dgamers.com