 Robotics / 11799
Re: Storage
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 2000 23:16:26 GMT

in article 20000628153331.12890.qmail@hotmail.com, Auto243 at
lego-robotics@crynwr.com wrote on 6/28/00 8:37 AM:

I am sure that many people have run into the same problems storing their
enormous lego collections.  I am looking for some ideas on large containers
that work well for storing a sorted collection.  I was considering tool boxes
and fishing boxes, but I would need quite a few.

Any ideas would be helpfull

Here is what I was looking for when I was picking out a storage system.

1) transparent, so I can see what's inside.
2) stackable
3) big enough to hold the largest Technic pieces and flat plates
4) cheap
5) portable (I don't have a fixed Lego workspace - it all has to go back
into the closet when I'm done)
6) square, not round

I didn't want a zillion little drawers with just a few pieces in each one.
Finding the part you want would take forever.  Plus, one of the pleasures of
playing with my Lego is running my hands through it and listening to the
sound it makes.  Kind of like Scrooge McDuck playing with his money, I
guess.  Also, you run into pieces that you weren't thinking of, allowing
serendipidy to occur.  Finally, clean-up is faster when you have fewer bins
you're throwing pieces back into.

It comes down to picking where you want to be between the two extremes:
a) everything in one box
b) one box for each kind of piece

Anyway, what I ended up with (as a gift, cool) was a couple of storage
containers from Sterilite - the FlipTop 1770 (7.25"L x 6.5"W x 4.4"H) and
FlipTop 1775 (13.25"L x 7.6"W x 5"H).  They match the criteria, plus they
have an attached lid that's impossible to lose!  Hooray, and goodbye
TupperWare.  You can stack them while they're open, too, which is how I use
them while building.

http://www.sterilite.com

Wal-Mart appears to sell them, although I could only find the bigger
container on their web store.  Target is also rumored to carry them.

I store things by categories - Technic long beams, Technic 2- and 4-stud
beams, connector pegs, gears+pulleys, etc.  Each of these categories gets a
single box, and I can rummage around in it looking for the exact piece I
want.  As my collection grows, I can get another box and split a category
into two ("gears+pulleys" becomes "small gears" and "big gears+pulleys",
each in a single box).

I also received a clear plastic three-drawer thingy I haven't been able to
identify.  (If you're desperate to know what it looks like I can take a
picture of it and post it somewhere.)  Each drawer holds a bit less than the
smaller Sterilite container.  I like the Sterilite boxes better.

A number of people (e.g. Ralph Hempel) seem to like using Plano tackle
boxes.  Check out Ralph's page on the subject at
http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/storage/index.html.

My non-Technic Lego is mostly stored in one of the old Lego drawstring bags.

Chris

Hope this is helpful,

Doug

--