 Robotics / 11676
Re: 9v Gear Motors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 9 Jun 2000 22:03:16 GMT

=>From: "Jerry Kalpin" <jdkalpin@sympatico.ca>
=>...
=>Dave, A shorted to B (disconnected from the battery) might work if the motor
=>acts like a generator when you turn it.

The motor *does* act like a generator when you turn it!  Every once in
a while, somebody on this list "discovers" that if you connect one
motor to another with one of the wires (no battery box or RCX
involved), then if you turn one motor, the other turns also.

=>But you try it.  Even the smallest
=>change in angle is resisted and with no spring-back.  Un-motor-like.

Is this with the inputs shorted?  (Or -- equivalently -- in "OFF" mode
while connected to the RCX?)  That's the expected behaviour.  (I
believe you can also short the motor inputs by putting both ends of a
cable onto the motor terminals, with the wire connectors turned 90
degrees.)

When the inputs are "floated," you can turn the motor all you want.
"Float" is equivalent to "completely unconnected," which is *really*
easy to test.

It's been a while since I played with Lego's RCX software; I don't
remember whether there was a distinction between "OFF" and "FLOAT,"
but AFAIK the other firmwares available (LegOS, FORTH, etc) allow you
to select ON/FLOAT/OFF.

(I hope we're not mutually wasting bandwidth by trying to say the same
thing and misunderstanding each other! :-)

d.