 Robotics / 11634
Re: Pnuematics: e-switch and thoughts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 2000 04:51:01 GMT

In lugnet.build, Soh Chio Siong writes:
Robert Munafo wrote:

In lugnet.build, Linc Smith writes:
[...]
First here is a micromotor actuated pneumatic switch
http://www.members.home.net/ourcreations/pictures.htm .  This design has a
fairly small bounding box. [...]

That link doesn't work anymore. Can anyone tell us how this construction
worked? (any gears? Levers? Maybe a worm gear?) I might want to use the idea • in
a Mindstorms design.

The link is now at http://www.members.home.net/ourcreations/linc/linc02.html.
I have a more rugged and reliable version of Linc's Micromotor actuated
pneumatic switch, referenced in this thread:
http://www.lugnet.com/build/?n=245&t=i&v=a. The problem I had with his design
was that things didn't stay aligned. I tweaked and tweaked until the switch
worked well. The assembly isn't much bigger than Linc's, and the full cycle
time is the same 10-14 seconds, but you can "cue up" a switch so it happens
within a couple seconds, then do a half cycle *after* the switch to cue for the
reverse direction.

I posted a .DAT file to http://www.lugnet.com/cad/dat/ideas/?n=124
I hope to post GIFs to http://www.kiva.net/~alano/brian shortly...

Ironically, I then abandoned use of this assembly becuase to control two
cylinders required two micromotors, therefore two RCX outputs. This in turn
required me to use an output multiplexor if my robot was going to be able to
steer. I made one, but it was unsightly. My alternative uses one new minimotor
(one output) and a either a touch sensor or rotation sensor (one input).