 Robotics / 11621
Re: 0.5 degree resolution with rotation sensor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 3 Jun 2000 19:15:26 GMT

"Moleque BR" <molequebr@cs.com> writes:

In order to get a 1 degree precision, a 22.5:1 gear train would be
necessary, but then, why not a 45:1 gear train? That causes the
input to turn 720 times for each turn on the output, which gives a
0.5 degrees precision.

Aren't you fooling yourself slightly here?  Just because the input
turns 45 times for each turn of the output does not mean that the
precision of the output will be 45 times as good.  What happens, for
example, if you reverse the input axle?  The angle sensor will start
registering that the input axle turns the other way at once, while the
output will lag behind because of the gear train.

Fredrik