 Robotics / 11642
Re: 0.5 degree resolution with rotation sensor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 2000 20:27:55 GMT

I don't really need it to be really precise, because, yes, the gear train is a
huge factor in a situation like that. I only built the gear train and I'm
using another rotation sensor as the reference for my controller. Depending on
the position I put the 2nd wheel, the controller should move the other one to
the same position. And for that it's working great. I know, I didn't have to
build the gear train for that, but I just wanted to try and see if it was
going to work. After all I just started playing with the RCX and now NQC...

And yep, Mauro, I'm brazilian... :o)

In lugnet.robotics, Mauro Vianna writes:
Did you have any problem with the slack resulting from the gear train? With
so much gears the error generated slack should be greater than the
precision.
I don't have a rotation sensor yet but some assemblies I made in the past to
control sterring with touch sensors had this problem. i never solved it. :(

PS: Are you brazilian?

Mauro Vianna

"Moleque BR" <molequebr@cs.com> wrote in message
Hi guys!

I've been playing with a position controller and thought that could • interest
someone else.

Since the rotation sensor has only 16 counts for 1 full turn, which means • 22.5
degrees, I thought about a way to get some more precision.

In order to get a 1 degree precision, a 22.5:1 gear train would be • necessary,
but then, why not a 45:1 gear train? That causes the input to turn 720 • times
for each turn on the output, which gives a 0.5 degrees precision.

Here is how I did it:

input                       legend:
   |                            |    axle
  [|] sensor                    #    technic beam
#  * *** |   |   #             ***   24t gear
#  |  * ***  |   #            *****  40t gear

           output

I hope that will interest you guys, 'cause I'm having fun! :o)

Cheers

Ricardo Andrade
San Jose, CA