 Robotics / 11618
Re: Quick question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 2000 22:46:18 GMT

Luis Villa wrote:

In Lego's defense, I think the once-a-year rule (at least when applied to the
RCX) is less gimmick and more substance than it usually is for them. The 1.5
really did have more useful parts, and better documentation and parts. Looks
like the 2.0 kits will have significantly upgraded software, at the least.

I wasn't saying one way or the other. All I stated was that Lego products seem to
hang around for a year then vanish. (I'm talking individual products here and not
brands. [Mindstorms, system etc.]).

The later 1.0's came with a free upgrade to 1.5. So it was the MUCH better deal. I
bought one upgrade and acquired one free with my second 1.0.

The 2.0 will have a 32k rom with the new code that the 1.0's have to download. That
means more room for newer firmware. (This is what I haven gathered from The specs
and talk. Subject to change and verification)

This
isn't like being unable to purchase an X-wing next year: there will definitely
be an RCX next year and the year after that. Exactly what RCX you'll get is up
for grabs, but you know that you won't be getting a markedly inferior product
(as many people on the Star Wars list seem to think they are getting with the
Millenium Falcon.)

There will not Definitely be an RCX in the future. It could be something different.
Lego Has proved this with a Scout and other products. If they make a "XCR" that has
5 ports each for input and output the RCX would quickly fade away. (From Lego's
shelves, not our hearts)

Nothing is certain in this world.

Dean
--