 Robotics / 11609
Re: IR and Com Ports and such
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 2000 21:36:34 GMT

Barbara Pamp schreef:

Hi, there.

This is more of a BIOS question, but I thought you folks might have some
ideas...

I just bought Mindstorms RIS and have run into a snag. I had to install a new 9-
pin serial port to start with, which I did, and the computer assigned the 9-pin
thingy an IRQ that doesn't match what the RIS infrared device wants. Apart from
going into the BIOS or DOS and reassigning everything to different ports and
IRQs and such, is there any way the infrared device can be made to use something
other than the recommended Com Ports and IRQs? (You can tell I'm clueless about
infrared devices.)

The Mindstorms IR tower doesn't have it's own IO address or IRQ. It uses
the COM ports address or IRQ.

Now the port you added... is it Plug'n'Play?

If NOT -> There should be a few jumpers on the card. If you want it to be
COM1 or COM3, select IRQ 4. If you want it to be COM2 or COM4 set it to IRQ
3

If YES -> Either it came with a disk, which has some software program to
alter IRQ's, or you can re-assign an IRQ under the System tab in the
configuration panel. Again, for COM1 or COM3, use IRQ 4 and IRQ3 for COM2
or COM4.

After that, it should work just fine.
The IRQ's I mentioned are the standard for the COM ports...
--
Jan-Albert "Anvil" van Ree   | http://www.nl.3dgamers.com
3D Sims Archive maintainer   | http://www.3dgamers.com