 Robotics / 1138
Re: Expansion Sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 4 Dec 1998 22:24:38 GMT

Jerome Strach wrote in message
What we *have* to get thru Legos executives' heads, is that we're willing • to
pay for the product; but we won't be reamed such that we can't sit down for
several days after the purchase.

I mean, $50 bucks and NO additional motors?

Not to disagree (I won't pay $50 for the expansion set either), but I
believe that software expansion packs are targeted at a different audience
than what might be here on this group (for the most part).

I believe that TLG feels that they are selling the *software* in these
expansion packs, and the parts are just enough to supplement the software.

I think that TLG assumes if you want the software (and complimentary parts)
you will by the expansion sets, If you want parts you will buy Technic sets.
There is a tendency to feel that because the expansion sets were released
with Mindstorms that they provide the best supplemental packages TLG could
come up with... I think that this is incorrect.  The biggest mistake that
TLG may have made, is assuming their new customers will initially know the
ins and outs to acquiring individual pieces.  If you want a gear motor, you
can buy it at S@H for 25$CAN.  You can get all the pieces in the expansion
sets in other sets, and in better combinations (IMO).

Basically the Expansion sets are software not model sets in the traditional
sense.

M2C anyway
LINC