 Robotics / 11351
Re: znap
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 24 Apr 2000 16:04:24 GMT

I must applaud your self-control... :)  I bought 8 sets on Thursday and
another 5 on Saturday... I too plan on adding them to Technic creations (at
least the parts my son lets me use!)

I especially like the flex shaft axles/motor mount combos and my son brought
the white "full" axles in the forklift to my attention last evening (not any
more functional, but neat none the less.)

Dave

In lugnet.robotics, Brian Alano writes:
I DITTO what Mr. Barnes wrote. I bought two sets Friday at Toys R Us, and had
my brother pick up two more for me on Saturday.

Besides have a geared down motor, two of the sets ($20 base price) have two
long flexible axles that will drive around a 180 degree bend easily and 270
degrees with some effort. AFAIK, these are unavailable anywhere else.

In addition to being surprisingly rigid, I find building frames with ZNAP to
be about three to five times faster than with Technic.

Thanks for the hole size observation, Mr. Barnes.

I noticed that a standard brick will press on to a ZNAP "stud" to make a
friction connection.

John Barnes wrote:

My local TRU finally got with the program, started the 50% off a
second set deal and got some znap in stock. So I bought two znap
sets at an average 25% off. The standard price is $30 which with
the discount comes to $22.50 each. They have a technic gear-motor
and battery pack so its a deal before you even begin!

But then I started to study the znap stuff itself. If you're using
technic to make robot type devices, you need to take a look at znap!

It is inherently two dimensional (unlike conventional technic beam
technology which I class as one dimensional).

It locks together rather than relying in friction.

It has Lego written on the box (for all you purists).

After a weekend of experimentation, may I say;

You need to try it!

It creates remarkably rigid 3D frameworks.

It is technic compatible to a great extent. ie; you can use znap as
a solid framework within which to mount fully technic subassemblies.

The only noticable dimensional difference is the beam hole size. The
black friction pegs rotate freely and thus the cross axles are a little
sloppy in the znap holes. All the other dimensions are compatible in
only the way that the mechancial designers at Lego seem to know how!

So, ....

Buy two sets like I did with the intent of giving one to a technic
enthusiast friend as a gift. Then see if you can! If you have RIS and
need a third motor, there's no doubt in my mind that is the way to
buy it.

John Barnes

ps. I do not work for TLG! (I just wish I did!)

-- Did you check the web site first?: http://www.crynwr.com/lego-robotics

--
And they did not do as we expected, but they