 Robotics / 11174
Re: Compass sensor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 1 Apr 2000 23:12:44 GMT

I am currently working on a Vector interface for the RCX.

Th compass module itself is rather large, I have had to make
a 5 x 5 x 3high "brick" to house it and the interface. This is
bigger than the Dinsmore compass and interface "brick" but I'm
hoping the non-mechanical Vector product will be an improvement
over the Dinsmore mechanical one.

The Vector is a bit of a pain, because you have to
calibrate it each time you apply power. The alternative
is to convert the raw readings to heading calculation externally,
which is what I'm doing.

As far as the polaroid ranger is concerned, it takes way too
much power to be RCX "compatible". Check Mike Gasperi's web
page, it has got the original design for a piezo unit I submitted
a few months ago. Since then, with major help from Roger Hamlett,
it has been recast in smd form for mounting in a pair of 2x8 bricks!

And it interfaces just like a light sensor!

Let me know if you're interested in any of this ..

John Barnes