 Robotics / 11035
11034  |  11036
Subject:
Exploration Robot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 18:29:55 GMT

Hi,

As a university project a group of us have been developing an exploration
robot using the Mindstorms kit. Part of what we are doing is the development
of a Windows application that allows you to set up a series of waypoints for
the robot to follow and tasks to perform at these waypoints.

We have set up a project website with more details of what we are doing. On
this site we have made available the executable for the 'mission planner'
that we are developing. The version on the site at the moment does not
actually communicate with the RCX and does not require spirit.ocx to be
installed. We have put it on the site so that we can get some feedback on
the user interface developed and would be grateful if some people would
download it and try it out.

www.odyssey-systems.freeserve.co.uk

Click on 'Enter' and then go to the 'Development' section where the download
can be found. The basic idea of the program is that you set-up parameters
for the area (background bitmap to use, dimensions, etc) and then define a
series of waypoints and tasks to perform. At this stage we have purposely
not provided any help files as we want to find out how intuitive the
interface is.

Within the next week we will also have available a version that will
communicate with the RCX, together with downloadable NQC code.  This will
allow a simple robot to be built that will follow a series of waypoints. We
will post more details when this is available.

Thanks,

Andy.