 Robotics / 11020
Re: Robolab Where???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 15:17:47 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, BMajik5127@aol.com writes:
Hi , Where can I get Robolab?
I have a similar problem and want to make the motor outputs float.
Thanks for your time and info!
-Mike

Robolab 2.0 is available from Pitsco for $27.50 for the programmer software
(Robolab 1.5 is still being sold for 25.00, but 2.0 is much better). For the
programmer software and User's Guide they charge $50.00, but we figured the
software out without the User's Guide. They sell a version of Robolab that
contains programmer and investigator for $49.00. The investigator software is
for datalogging.

Pitsco can be reached at 800-362-4308, or online at
www.pitsco-legodacta-store.com

Robolab programs look much like a flowchart. You drag symbols from the
Functions menu to the program area, and then connect these symbols together
using the "wire tool" from the tools menu. The process of wiring together the
symbols will create a design that is not only a program, but is also a logic
flowchart. We skipped all the Pilot levels and went directly to the most
advanced/enabled level, Inventor 4. It didn't take my 11 year old much time to
figure out how to make programs without using the introductory levels, and
without a book.

In hindsight I would recommend starting at Pilot level 1 for people who have
never programmed before. After advancing through the Pilot levels, the Inventor
levels contain more functions and allow more flexability. One can easily change
the Inventor program level directly from the program menus to advance to the
next level. We did get the User's guide later and it is a good guide, but it is
a little pricy. Pitsco does have a technical support phone line for Robolab
users.

Be sure to check out the following sites for a good introduction to Robolab:

http://www.ceeo.tufts.edu/graphics/robolab.html

http://www.lego.com/dacta/robolab/default.htm