 Robotics / 11010
Re: What should I buy for a robotics course?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 12 Mar 2000 21:24:40 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, David Arnon writes:
I'm helping a professor in the hebrew university here in Jerusalem to set up a
robotics course that
will use LEGO to build the robots.
The course is for computer science students doing their masters degree (that's
the fourth/fifth year
in the university)

I've been working a similar course for a professor I work for. We're going to
use HandyBoards and LEGOs in a computer science oriented robotics course. We
decided to go with the HandyBoard over the LEGO RCX. The HandyBoard is very
well suited for research and advanced classes, whereas the RCX is meant to be a
toy. A powerful toy, but still, the HandyBoard offers more options. It's
relatively easy to buy electronic components and use them with the HandyBoard,
whereas most things require a little (or a lot) of work to get them to work
with the RCX. For example, I haven't seen anyone using sonar with an RCX yet,
whereas it's a relatively simple process to use one with a HandyBoard.

Here are some things I've put together which might help you:

- An analysis of the RCX/Robotics Invention System's features:
http://144.118.234.206/robotron/Robots/ITCSL_Mindstorms'_Features_Joe.doc

- The following is a list of LEGO Technic sets available in the 200 catalog
that seemed to provide a good assortment of parts. From this list we're going
to pick sets (almost definitely the 8462 Tow Truck and some others) to buy to
put into kits for our students:
http://144.118.234.206/robotron/kits/legoSetsToPurchase.txt

- A list of electronics components, part numbers, prices, and notes. Again,
we're picking components out of this list to buy for our kits:
http://144.118.234.206/robotron/kits/priceSheet2.xls

- Some sample student kit inventories, which we're using to figure out what we
can afford so we can develop the course syllabus and then hammer out exactly
what to buy:
http://144.118.234.206/robotron/kits/kitInventories.xls

The HandyBoard has enough memory and power to run complex algorithms, and can
easily be linked to a base computer if you need to. One of the guys in our lab
has written a HandyBoard/base computer shared memory library which we would be
glad to share if you're interested. We're currently using it for research on
teleoperation and automatic simulation creation, but plan to use it in our
class to let students develop complex control programs.

Anyway, if you have any questions about the material I listed above, or want
more details about what we think of the HandyBoard and Mindstorms kits, feel
free to ask :)