 Robotics / 11009
11008  |  11010
Subject:
What should I buy for a robotics course?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 12 Mar 2000 18:36:40 GMT

Hi all,
it's my first post to this group so please excuse my ignorance;

I'm helping a professor in the hebrew university here in Jerusalem to set up a
robotics course that
will use LEGO to build the robots.

The course is for computer science students doing their masters degree (that's
the fourth/fifth year
in the university)

I have a few questions, and I'll appreciate your help very much.
A. I've been following this news group for some time and I understood there are
three main options
to control the robots: Handy Board, Mindstorms & CyberMaster which one is best
suited for our
purpose? what are the expected costs for each option? (Any other option I
missed?)

B. What are the possibilities when it comes to programming the robot? (I need
something that
works on both windows & unix) - which language is best suited for such a
course? What language
is used to program the Handy Board?

C. How much memory is available on the Handy Board / Mindstorms / CyberMaster ?
is it enough for complicated algorithms?

D. is it possible to use the P.C. as the brains (with all the benefits of the
speed & memory) of the
robot and use the Handy Board / Mindstorms / CyberMaster just as an interface
to the computer?

Any input will be appreciated,
Thanks,
David Arnon