 Robotics / 10954
Re: Technic Sets to Use for Educational Kits
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 03:28:48 GMT

Ah, ok, now we've got a better idea of the requirements and budget.

I thought you were going to use either LEGO or handyboard for controlling the
robot.  Throw out my ideas about programmable LEGo since you are using the
handyboard.  You should probably allocate a little money to the mechanical
interfacing of the handyboard to the LEGO components.  (motors & sensors)

Also, adjust your balance of money for motors/sensors.  $100 for motors equals 6
geared motors @ $16.25 ea. from Pitsco and $50 for sensors equals 3 $16 sensors
(average cost of available sensors).  A 6:3 ratio of motors to sensors is
probably not what you want.  Obviously the specific cost of the items you buy
may alter this - but everything I have built has had a more equal ratio - 1:1 at
a minimum, most have more sensors than motors.

So, I'll assume you allocate $100 for sensors - that means you have about $400
for gears, beams, axles, etc.

Start with the technology Resource, currently listed at $230.50 and has 1733
pieces - a wide variety.  The only drawback is the motor - only one - the set
would be much more appealing with two motors.  It also includes a pneumatic
pump, 2 pistons, and a switch, but there is no tank.

If you are interested in including more pneumatics, add the Pneumatic Front-End
Loader #8459 for $82.  This will add full pneumatics (cylinders, valves, pumps,
pistons, tubing) and also a scoop which can be used for picking things up -
always good for projects.  Total piece count is 582.

Add the Crane Truck #8446 for $66.  This adds plenty of gears and has a high
parts count: 573

One part I consider essential is the turntable - add a pair of them from Pitsco
for $10.

Total cost is $388.50 and you have 2890 parts, including one motor, so you can
move some motor money to sensors or add it to the $400 parts budget.

-Wes

Scarius wrote:

In lugnet.technic, Ralph Hempel writes:
Hmmm, don't forget to add the cost of the HandyBoard in there. Now you're • looking
at the cost of a RIS plus a any one of the kits Wes mentioned.

What I meant was that we have several hundred dollars per kit soley to buy LEGO
parts, above and beyond money spent on the HandyBoard (the microcontroller
we're going to use), sensors (from DigiKey & Jameco), and LEGO motors (which
can be purchased seperately, correct?). We're trying to keep the price under
$900 (the cost of a KIPR kit). Take away 300 for the HandyBoard, another 100
for motors, 50 for sensors, and you've still got $450 dollars to spend on LEGO
sets for parts. Come on people, this is your chance to vicariously buy several
hundred dollars worth of LEGOs!

There is a little known kit called 89609 from Dacta/Pitsco called Technology
Resource Set with 1733 parts including wheels, beams, etc for about $200.

That sounds promising, I'll have to look into it.