 Technic / 1223
Re: Technic Sets to Use for Educational Kits
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 2000 20:46:55 GMT

My .02 worth:

I don't recommend 8446.  Why?  There is no power source, therefore the projects
can't 'do' anything.

8462 has full pneumatics: 2 tanks, 3 switches, 2 pistons, 1 pump.  Pneumatics
have been used to create non-electrically powered movement.

Have you considered 'Barcode Multi-Set' #8479?  It has limited programmability,
motors, sensors, and a large number of pieces (1263)

Also consider 'Robotics Discover' #9735.  It fits your price range, has true
programmability, multiple motors and sensors.  Don't let the packaging fool you
- this set doesn't contain a lot of fluff pieces.  The only pieces from it I
have never found a use for are the wings, the foam balls, and the eyeballs.
Flex tubing can be great for bumpers.  Add to it the Scout SDK and there's only
one set better - the RIS, which is above your price limit.

Based on your description of the course, I think each group should have a 9735
and a 8462.  Total group price is $281.  You get pneumatics, motors, sensors,
programmability (which is probably a requirement for a college level course) and
a wide variety of pieces.

-Wes

Joe Kopena wrote:

I'm helping a professor I work for develop a robotics course for the fall (a
college level course for upperclass students and a handful of graduate
students). We like LEGOs a lot and are planning on having students construct
LEGO/HandyBoard robots in the class. Right now I'm trying to figure out what
components we should buy to assemble kits for the students to use and I'm
wondering what Technic sets to purchase to use in the kits. We need a large
assortment of beams, gears, plates, axles, and connectors as well as some
wheels. We'd rather not buy a set that was mostly fluff (we don't need a lot of
flex tubing or figures or stuff like that). As it stands right now we can spend
a couple hundred dollars per kit just on LEGOs. These are the sets I was
thinking of combining to form a kit:

8462 - Tow/Crane Truck - 773 pieces - $122US
http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=8462
This is one of the sets used in the KIPR Robotics kit which we have been using.
It has wheels, turntable, lots of beams and gears, and a pneumatic tank (it
does not have a full pneumatic system, just the tank, correct?). I'm definitely
leaning towards using this set in the kit, it seems very complete and filled
with mostly useful parts (not a lot of fluff).

8446 - Crane/Demolition Truck - 573 pieces - $63US
http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=8446
Has six Mars Explorer wheels, some beams, some gears, some fluff. Hard
to tell from picture on brickshelf.com - is it worth buying this? I really like
these wheels.

I don't see any other sets in the current catalog that would be very useful.
Should we just give each group 2 8462s? Any suggestions about these sets or
ideas on other sets would be greatly appreciated.

Thx!