 Robotics / 10929
Re: Spirit.ocx in VC++
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 5 Mar 2000 14:49:05 GMT

Hi Steve,

On Sun, 5 Mar 2000 01:19:22 GMT, you wrote:

Actually, the datatype is VARIANT, which is a typedef around a struct
that's used to support a slew of datatypes in a single type. The struct
contains a member "vt" that describes the datatype of the data that's
stored in the variant.  Based on the value of "vt", the actual data will
have a name corresponding to the type.

That's right. In the case of the datalog the type of the "vt" is
(VT_ARRAY | VT_I2), that is an array of 2-byte integers.

So, a possible chunk of code for checking the return from UploadDatalog
might look like this:

       VARIANT retVariant = UploadDatalog(From, Size);
       if (retVariant.boolVal == VARIANT_TRUE)
       {
           // it worked!
       }
       else
       {
           // it failed!
       }

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Thank you very much, Steve. Your message was helpful for me to
understand I'm in the right way to the solution.

Anyway, I think I need to explain better what is my problem.
I _successfully_ upload the datalog from the RCX into a VARIANT
variable, but I do not succeed in extracting the array of logged
values from that variable. I am surely doing something wrong with
the SafeArrayAccessData method.

Here follows the code I wrote to save the raw logged data in
the test.dat file:

//----------------------- cut here -----------------------------

VARIANT datalog;
short *loggedData;
CFile f;

f.Open( "test.dat", CFile::modeCreate | CFile::modeWrite);

VariantInit(&datalog);

datalog = m_ctrlego.UploadDatalog(1, 10);

if (datalog.vt == (VT_ARRAY | VT_I2))
{
   SafeArrayAccessData(datalog.parray, (void HUGEP* FAR*)&loggedData);
   SafeArrayUnaccessData(datalog.parray);
   f.Write(loggedData, datalog.parray->rgsabound->cElements);
}

f.Close();

The result is by far different from the datalog uploaded
using RCXcc, and I really can't understand why!

Bye,

      Antonio