 Robotics / 10934
Re: Spirit.ocx in VC++
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 5 Mar 2000 22:08:16 GMT

Well done!

I expect the datalog data is just represented in this way for ease of use by
VB programmers.

----- Original Message -----
From: iant <iant@libero.it>
To: <lego-robotics@crynwr.com>
Sent: Sunday, March 05, 2000 8:13 PM
Subject: Re: Spirit.ocx in VC++

Hi Steve, Len and All,

I was closer to the solution than I thought!

The code I posted this morning was correct.
What I missed was the format of the datalog, which is very
hard to understand from the docs of spirit.ocx.

After hacking around for a while I found that the format of the
array of 2-bytes integers that represents the datalog is:

*- header -*
1   255
2   0
3   number of data logged

*- 1st logged value -*
4   type of data source      (0=variable, 1=timer, 9=sensor)
5   number of data source    (0-31 variables, 0-3 timers, 0-2 sensors)
6   logged value

*- 2nd logged value -*
8   type of data source
9   number of data source
10  logged value

*- 3rd logged value -*
11  ... and so on ...

For example:

255
0
3
1
0
10
9
1
765
0
3
85

is the raw array for the following datalog:

   Timer_0:  10
  Sensor_2: 765
Variable_3:  85

Pretty easy, isn't it?

Now a question arises: why use 2 2-byte integers to address the data
source, when a 6-bit integer would have been more than enough???
I hope this is only a format given by UploadDatalog method, and in
the RCX the datalog is stored in a more compact way, because it is
an *amazing* waste of memory!

Bye,

      Antonio