 Robotics / 10795
Re: Subsumption Architecture - Print Resources
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 05:01:48 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Jim Choate <ravage@einstein.ssz.com> writes:
Cambrian Intelligence: The Early History of the New AI
Rodney A. Brooks

  This is a good book.  Its a bit "dense" with scholarly papers, that,
unfortunates leave out many details you might like to have, but its a good
intro.

There is also another booked called "Behaviour-based Robotics" that is
currently on a lot of bookstore shelves.

  I don't care as much for this one.  Arkin starts out with behavior based
robotics but drifts into traditional AI and leaves the subsumption ideals
behind.

  A very good precursor book is Valentino Braitenberg's "Vehicles: Experiments
in Synthetic Psychology"

A newer book "Mobile Robotics: A Practical Introduction" by Ulrich Nehmzow.
This one has great discussions on sensor interpretation and other very
practical robotics issues.

enjoy,
DLC