 Robotics / 10791
Re: Subsumption Architecture - Print Resources
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 00:37:47 GMT

Cambrian Intelligence: The Early History of the New AI
Rodney A. Brooks
ISBN 0-262-52263-2
$25 US

A collection of Brooks' most famous and most influential articles
("Intelligence without representation", etc.) over the last 15 years.
Fairly technical and often not too clear: Brooks's ideas were still
developing and you'll notice shifts in emphasis and terminology from among
the various essays. A background in classical AI is recommended in order to
appreciate many of Brooks' implicit points and all too explicit polemic.
(Anyone lacking such a background may consult J Haugeland's defintion of
GOFAI in AI: the very idea).

I also find useful,

Intelligent Behaviour in Animals and Robots
D. McFarland, T. Bosser
ISBN 0-262-13293-1
?

No opinion on this one.

There is also another booked called "Behaviour-based Robotics" that is
currently on a lot of bookstore shelves. I don't own a copy myself or
I'd pass the particulars, sorry.

This is *the* textbook presentation of behavior-based robotics (a term that
seems to have become the superset of subsumption architecture: the former
is the general approach, the latter one of the many technique that may
implement it). Lots  of details, discussions of problems, tons of
bibliography. What you would read (or rather work on) as a college-level
student nowadays, and what you'd start from as a researcher. It is marketed
as a textbook, and carries a consequently high price tag.

Just my .2

Stefano Franchi