 Robotics / 10779
Re: 'Bot Camera
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2000 17:08:07 GMT

At 16:05 22-02-2000 GMT, David Paule wrote:
Your RCX decides what to take a picture of and tells the PC "get ready to
receive a pic." You can go do something more productive like shoveling • snow or
mowing the lawn ;-).

Well, as much as I would like, sitting in from of a PC (or TV) watching
what the bot's doing in real-time, is far from my ideia of usefull waste of
time ;)

More to the point, the idea is to make a program that lets the RCX make that
decision, rather than simply roaming around the house and broadcasting images
from your dog's point of view.

That's one of the more basic (useless/fun) first projects when one put's a
Cam in a bot, eheh. But that's that, simply the first, basic project that
one can start with. Then, one as to do more challenging things :)

In lugnet.robotics, "Marco C." <marco@soporcel.pt> writes:
If I have "vision", shouldn't I use the best of it ?

As I said before, if I have:
a PC;
a bot with a Cam;
a way to transmit action commands from the PC to the bot;
(in my case RF, using CyberMaster)
a way to transmit video from the bot's cam to the PC;
(as I would like, with a wireless XCam)
then, with a robotic vision software system, the PC can make decisions
based on the video input, instead of the having a RCX do the decision
making based on less than perfect (for movement detection) sensors.

For links and past talks about this subject please goto
http://www.lugnet.com/robotics and search for threads with the subject:
"Robotic Vision"
"buy it ! (XCam in Europe?)"
"Positioning"