 Robotics / 10682
10681  |  10683
Subject:
The Claw
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 15:25:47 GMT

OK, having played with the RIS I got for Christmas for a couple months now,
and having read Dave's book, I've realized that I can handle the programming
of the robot with no problem, but the design of the robot is a problem for me.
I'm building a lot of projects from the book and designs I pick up off the
web, but still haven't been able to think of a way to design the thing I want
to make: The Claw.

This is like the claw in the first Toy Story movie (the scene with the little
rubber aliens). The claw is suspended from a point that can move anywhere in
the x-y plane. It can then be lowered, where it will close around an object
and lift it.

My problem is that I can't find a way to do this with fewer than four motors
(two for the x-y movement, one to lower the claw, and one to close the
pincers). Surely there's got to be a way to control the lowering of the claw
and the closing of the pincers with one motor. Does anyone know where I can
find such a design?

Thanks,
Michael