 Robotics / 10683
RE: The Claw
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 15:46:45 GMT

Well, I have a couple ideas.  First, if you want to control it manually, you
could use a gear box for the x/y movement, which could be done with just one
motor.

As for the claw, I think those work using one motor and a couple cables.
The claw is held open and up by one cable attached to the outside of the
claw(s).  That cable is let out.  When the tension is removed from that
cable (the claw reaches the bottom) then the tension moves to another cable
that is attached to the middle of the claw which will close and raise it.

The trick is the mechanism that will switch from letting out one cable to
pulling in the other.

Sounds interesting...
</steve>

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael S. Lewis
[mailto:michael.s.lewis@worldnet.att.net]
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2000 10:26 AM
To: lego-robotics@crynwr.com
Subject: The Claw

OK, having played with the RIS I got for Christmas for a
couple months now,
and having read Dave's book, I've realized that I can handle
the programming
of the robot with no problem, but the design of the robot is
a problem for me.
I'm building a lot of projects from the book and designs I
pick up off the
web, but still haven't been able to think of a way to design
the thing I want
to make: The Claw.

This is like the claw in the first Toy Story movie (the
scene with the little
rubber aliens). The claw is suspended from a point that can
move anywhere in
the x-y plane. It can then be lowered, where it will close
around an object
and lift it.

My problem is that I can't find a way to do this with fewer
than four motors
(two for the x-y movement, one to lower the claw, and one to
close the
pincers). Surely there's got to be a way to control the
lowering of the claw
and the closing of the pincers with one motor. Does anyone
know where I can
find such a design?

Thanks,
Michael