 Robotics / 10631
10630  |  10632
Subject:
Inexpensive air tank found at WalMart!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2000 17:38:30 GMT

   After receiving my pneumatic parts on Saturday (Thanks Steve!) it didn't
take long to discover that an air tank isn't a "nice-ssity" it is a
necessity!  So I thought a baby food jar fitted with a barbed line connector
would make a great little air tank...
   So I went to our local hardware looking for a fitting... 'Sorry, smallest
we have is 1/4"'... So I went to the AutoZone - they had 1/8", still too big
and no way to seal the fitting to the lid.
   Disappointed, we thought we might have some luck at the pet store, but I
remembered that the brass valves we had from our aquarium were too large also.
   So we did what we always do when I get depressed... We went to WalMart to
see if they marked down any more LEGO sets.  There were the couple
CyberStingers that I hadn't bought them out of yet and the one AirZep minus
the tail that they wanted $5 for...  nothing good there, let's grab some Pepsi
and head home...
   Walking over to the food section past the craft area we saw some clearance
items... "Hmmm... that bottle of 'Tulip(tm)' fabric paint looks interesting...
look at that neat nozzle on the top..."  So I popped off the cap of one of the
bottles and pulled out my stub of pnuematic line... A PERFECT AIRTIGHT FIT!
   So we went home with a bottle of purple paint for $1.00, which is in its'
new baby- food jar home. (If you ever have kids DON'T throw out those jars!...
In fact give some to your kids as a wedding present until they have kids of
their own!)
   Wash the bottle out real well and let it dry... you definitely don't want
paint or residue in your pump or cylinders... this gives 4 oz./118 mL
(11.8cc?) of capacity.
   I will post some pictures on my website later today hopefully and reply
with the address here.

Dave (who forgot that every post doesn't have to be a newsletter... Sorry for
the wordiness! :) )