 Robotics / 10550
Re: Dumb AI
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2000 22:33:37 GMT

I would have built it, but while waiting my opportunity, I was doubly inspired: I
combined the  micro-rover concept with Ben's Rock Stupid Rover and came up with:
The Autonomous Mini-Rover! (Also known as the Rock Stupid Ant).

No scanner, no digital camera. No time to LDraw it. But I did come up with two
major innovations (for me, anyway):

1) No turntable needed! More precisely, the differential *is* the turntable. I
meshed the 24 tooth differential gear to an 8 tooth gear, which was fixed to the
cross-axle hole in a triangular plate.

2) I used a micro-motor axle-pulley for the Rock Stupid program 3. I attached it
to the inside end of one rear axle and inserted the inside end of the other rear
axle about 1/4 stud length into it. The result: limited-slip!

Hey, the micro-rover idea was Ben's, too! Wow! Keep up the mind storms, Ben!

Ben Jackson wrote:

In lugnet.robotics, David Leeper writes:

As I understand Ben's bot, it's built with a diferential. When the robot
drives normally, the differential turns only the front wheel, moving the bot
forward. When the bot hits something the front wheel will jam, causing the
differential to drive the back wheels, which turns the bot based on how you
design the back wheel drive.

Actually the front fork turns to steer the robot when it stalls.  The
importance of the back wheels is to cause front wheel stalls WITHOUT hitting
something.  A semi-rigid rear axle means that large turns cause stalls, which
influences the robot to do more straight driving than spinning in circles.

I really recommend that people with a motor and a turntable build it.  It's
amazing to watch it move around.

--Ben

--
You hear, O LORD, the desire of the afflicted; you encourage them, and you listen